First Oil Painting

One night I was painting with acrylic and I was irritated that it wasn’t blending the way I wanted it to. I kept thinking that I should just try oil paint. I dug out a small oil set that I have never used and picked out a photo of Jackson. I propped up my phone with the photo, mixed some flesh colors, and painted out an outline of his face. After a couple hours I ended up with a face that sort of looked like my son. It was 1am and I went to bed.

The next morning I tried different browns, yellows, and pinks to shade and highlight his face. His hair was a a lot of small blended strokes of brown, black, and yellow. I finished the background while Jackson was napping and fixed a few more things the next morning. I think I spend about 8 hours on it. It is 6 1/2 x 8 inches on canvas paper.Β I’m really happy with how it turned out. There are a few things I see now that need some work, but the paint is dry to the touch, so I might just leave it.

I’m in love with oil paint! TheΒ texture is amazing and blends so smoothly. It takes days for the top layer to dry. I can start painting and stop to spend time with Jackson during the day and pick back up at night or the next day. I think I’m going to pack up my acrylics for awhile. I’m really excited to start another portrait!

This entry was posted in Oil. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to First Oil Painting

1. Kayleen Gay says:

You did a great job Elyse! I’m definitely impressed.
    Gee, you could really get a business going.

2. Sarah says:

You are so talented! Good job. This is honestly the first portrait I’ve seen that I can actually tell who it’s supposed to be. I usually don’t like this style of painting, but this is incredible. Good job! I can’t wait to see what else you do with oils.

3. Jennifer says:

I love it! You are amazingly talented! I cannot believe what you have created with paint, just wow! I am looking forward to seeing more oil work from you!

4. Dus says:

Wow you are so talented!! I mean first, I can’t comment w/out saying how stinkin’ adorable your kid is, but second, wow, you did an amazing job!! Finding all the right colors sounds tricky enough, let alone make it actually look like him and be a beautiful piece of art- great work!

5. Dorien says:

Oh this looks so great!! Especially his eyes are beautiful! πŸ™‚ xo

6. David Eagle says:

This is incredible. How much do I have to pay you to do one of each of the girls?